Cindy is a senior attorney in Murray Osorio’s Family & Citizenship practice group. Cindy focuses her practice on affirmative filings such as family petitions, adjustment of status, naturalization, waivers, affirmative asylum and other humanitarian applications. Prior to joining Murray Osorio, Cindy worked at Legal Aid Chicago where she focused on providing holistic legal services for survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence. She also worked at the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants where she primarily represented unaccompanied minors through the affirmative asylum process.
Cindy graduated from Virginia Tech with a Bachelor of Science and received her juris doctor from the University of Illinois in Chicago. During law school Cindy was awarded a Peggy Browning Fellowship, a fellowship dedicated to advancing the cause of workers’ rights, which she used to spend her summer at CASA de Maryland working on immigrants’ rights matters. She later attended American University’s Washington College of Law and received her Master of Laws with a concentration in labor, employment, and immigration law and policy, with a certificate in administrative law.
Cindy immigrated from Mexico as a young child and lived in the United States undocumented for decades before being able to legalize her status. As a result of her personal experiences, she has a deep understanding of our clients’ needs and is dedicated to helping them navigate their own immigration process successfully.
Select Speaking Engagements
- “Immigrants Deserve Law Enforcement Protection, Too: Ins and Outs of T Visas and U Visas,” AILA DC Fall Conference, November 2022
- “VA Legislative Changes for U Visas,” DC AILA Legislative Committee, September 2021
- “Updates from AILA’s Case Assistance, VAWA, U & T Committee” AILA University Video Roundtable, August 2021
- “Thinking Outside the Labor Trafficking Box (Moderator)” Freedom Network Annual Conference, March 2019
- “Intersection of Domestic Violence and Human Trafficking” Illinois Domestic Violence Coalition, November 2017
- Practice Advisory: Using Virginia’s Law Enforcement Agency Certification Law To Obtain LEA Certification for U and T Visa Applicants.
- 2017 American University, LLM
- 2016 University of Illinois Chicago, J.D.
- 2009 Virginia Tech, B.S.
- Peggy Browning Fellow, 2015
- AILA D.C. Chapter Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Cindy loves to kayak, hike, and garden in her time off.