Can I Get a Digital Nomad Visa to Work in the U.S.?

African American woman talking to coworkers in an online meeting

Gone is the idea that employees must work in an office to complete their job. Worldwide, many companies now have workers working partially remotely or entirely remotely. This opportunity has allowed many workers to complete work outside their home country. Individuals who take part in that are known as digital nomads. But can digital nomads come into the U.S.?

Why the U.S. Does Not Currently Accept Digital Nomads

Although there currently is no specifically-designated digital nomad visa for those outside of the U.S. looking to work here, there are various ways foreign nationals can travel and work in the country.

The lack of an officially-recognized visa is likely due to multiple considerations spanning from work authorization requirements and workplace safety regulations, all of which can influence the creation of an official visa for digital nomads. Until this changes, alternative visas or short-term stay options are the most viable option for non-U.S. residents who want to come and work in the country.

Alternative Visas Available for Foreign Nationals to Work in the U.S.

USCIS provides information about eligibility criteria and requirements for various types of visas — for instance, those who wish to work as professionals can look into the H-1B visa program. The E-2 Treaty Investor and L-1 Intracompany Transferee visas are two other options that provide a route for people to invest in businesses or transfer within companies to come and work in the U.S.

Furthermore, some visas allow individuals to stay in the country even if their employment ends under certain circumstances. A handful of countries also have special agreements with the U.S. allowing citizens of those nations to come here and do business without applying for a visa.

How an Immigration Attorney Can Help You

With so many legal and bureaucratic procedures associated with securing the right to work in the U.S., hiring an immigration attorney is vital if you want to work here. The experienced immigration lawyers at Murray Osorio PLLC can ensure you know the rules and regulations for obtaining a work visa and are fully aware of your options. Contact us online or by phone today so we can work together on this process. (800) 929-7142

Related Posts
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS): Eligibility & Renewal Process Read More
  • Navigating the U.S. Immigration System as a Student Read More
  • What Adoptive Parents Need to Know About U.S. Immigration Law Read More